Welcome to the UNC-NLP Research Group
Our lab has research interests in statistical natural language processing and machine learning, with a focus on multimodal, grounded, and embodied semantics (i.e., language with vision and speech, for robotics), human-like language generation and Q&A/dialogue, and interpretable and structured deep learning. We are a group of PhD, MS, BS, and visiting students who work with Prof. Mohit Bansal and collaborators in the Computer Science department (lab located in Brooks Building FB-241C) at the University of North Carolina (UNC) Chapel Hill.
- Oct 2018. We have a Postdoc opening - please apply!
- Sept 2018. Thanks to Facebook and IBM for the faculty research awards!
- Aug 2018. 7 new papers (6 in EMNLP; 1 in CoNLL).
- July 2018. Thanks to Army Research Office for the ARO Young Investigator Program (YIP) Award.
1st rank in EMNLP FEVER (Fact Extraction & VERification) shared task (congrats Yixin and Haonan)!
- June 2018. COLING paper on dynamic-MTL selected as "Area Chair Favorites" (congrats Han+Ram)!
- Apr 2018. 4 new papers (2 in ACL; 1 in TACL; 1 in WiNLP).
- Apr 2018. Congrats to Lisa Bauer for winning the 3-year NSF PhD Fellowship!
- Mar 2018. Thanks to Adobe for the Adobe Research Award.
- Feb 2018. 9 new 2018 papers in NAACL, CVPR, AAAI, WACV.
- Sept 2017. Thanks to DARPA for the DARPA Young Faculty Award (link).
- Sept 2017. Thanks to Facebook for the Facebook ParlAI Research Award.
- July 2017. 3 papers at EMNLP 2017 and 2 papers at the Summarization-Frontiers and RepEval workshops.
- June 2017. Top single model results on the RepEval-NLI Shared Task at EMNLP 2017 (congrats Yixin!).
- June 2017. Outstanding Paper Award at ACL 2017 (congrats Ram!).
- Feb 2017. Thanks to Google for a Google Faculty Research Award (link).
- Nov 2016. 3 papers on navigational instruction generation, coherent dialogue w/ attn-LMs, and on context-RNN-GAN models to appear at AAAI 2017 and HRI 2017.
- July 2016. 5 papers to appear at EMNLP 2016: visual story sorting, visual question relevance, neural network interpretation (for politeness), machine comprehension/Q&A, and character-based sentence embedding models.
- July 2016. Best paper award at ACL 2016 Repl4NLP workshop for paper on mapping unseen words, and paper on end-to-end joint neural models for entity+relation extraction to appear at ACL 2016.
- Mar 2016. Thanks to Bloomberg for a Bloomberg Data Science Research Grant (link).
- Feb 2016. Paper on universal sentence embeddings selected as an oral at ICLR 2016.
- Jan 2016. Our work on AI for computational humor was covered in MIT Technology Review and Newsweek.
- Nov 2015. Nvidia paper award at NIPS 2015 Multimodal ML workshop for paper on navigational instruction following.
- Dec 2014. Thanks for an IBM Faculty Award and a Google Faculty Research Award (link).